Thursday, April 20, 2006

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND-CONTINUING

Dennis said...

The standardized tests have been around for quite a while. You didn't have to but before I graduated I had to take the Alabama Exit Exam. Before I took it, I was singled out by the school for Math remediation in order to help me pass that part of the test since I had not taken Algebra 1 yet. The remedial class was BEFORE school and if I didn't attend I would have hell to pay. The school took special interest in the students weaknesses in subjects back then. I don't know what the do now, but only 3 or 4 students could not graduate with our class because of the Graduation Exam now it is much higher. What is wrong now that wasn't wrong then?

Well, you sort of answered your own question. You had to take the exit exam and the part you were weakest one, you worked of BEFORE school. But today, they make it to seem like the teacher's job is on the line if their students don't make the grade on the achievement tests, so instead of teaching the course work they are supposed to be teaching, they concentrate on teaching what is on the achievement test, which like I said, seems to be only teaching "how to take a test" instead of learning anything. Not only that but their have been many of battles on getting teachers to take certification test. Not only before they start teaching but during their career too. That would help alot.

1 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The key is that then I had teachers that were intersted in the students actually learning. I have run into a fer that could care less, My Biology teacher for example who thought it better to teach the health benefiets of Goat Milk and how his live stock were doing than Biology. Or the college professor who stood in class every day and gave the same speech on how Alabama sucks and Iowa is much cleaner and then gave open book tests. There are a lot of teachers like this and they need to be taken out NOW! They do not challenge students, they hinder them and that is why we need teachers to be held to a standard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home