Sunday, April 09, 2006

DRIVE-IN THEATERS MAKING A COMEBACK

DRIVE-INS

I know I'm dating myself but I remember those drive-in theaters. My parents had a station wagon (yes I remember those too) and we would put a mattress in the back, us kids would be in our pjs (I have one brother and 2 sisters at the time) and we would pile in and go to a movie. And to save money, my mom would pop her own popcorn to take with us. Of course we wanted to burgers and hot dogs too. And if someone got restless, they were taken to the playground in front of the big screen so they didn't disturb anyone else. The only complaint about those theaters were the lousy speakers that hung on the windows. It made the audio sound like it was coming through a tin can. You didn't have to dress up to go to see a movie and you could talk to one another with out disturbing a theater full of people.

When we moved back to Montgomery in 1972, there were two family drive-ins and one adult. One of the family theaters would show R rated movies but the problem was, it was near the by-pass and cars coming around the bend could see the screen, sometimes causing a distraction, but that was the only complaint I know of. The one Adult theater was by the Air Force base. I think its great someone wants to bring them back.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The drive in never left this area. It is still a beloved family outing. On the weekends the lines stretch into the street. Thank goodness the clunky speakers you describe are a thing of the past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home