Thursday, October 13, 2005

HOSPITALS AND BILLS

BILLS

This is something I know first hand about since I was born with Spina Bifida and spent alot of my childhood in and out of hospitals. Lucky for me and my family, my dad was in the Air Force, and at that time, if you were active duty or dependent of active duty, all you had to pay for was the food you ate while in the hospital. So, back then my bills were $7.50 a day for how ever long I was in there.

I was able to keep my Air Force connection (I was told and so were my parents that I would have them for life since I was born with this condition and my dad was in service when I was born, but they lied.) until I graduated college. Lucky for me for a while there that I didn't have any major medical problems. But, after both of my parents passed away and I got married and was working a while, I started having some medical problems and had to be hospitalized. One reason is Kidney Stones, something that is common for those confined to wheelchairs. It was a shock to me to see that it cost $1,000 a day just to stay in the hospital, not including any treatments, x-rays or any other services. Oh, and the rumored $5 asprin, is real. So, yes I know about those bills. And one former nationwide hospital chain, Humana, was "Smart" enough to get on national tv and admit that they doubled and sometimes triple billed someone because "patients rarely pay their bills in full." Needless to say, Humana has all but disappeared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home