Thursday, September 01, 2005

HURRICANE KATRINA

Everyone thought the tsunami that hit Indonesia right after Christmas last year was bad, but Hurricane Katrina has brought a disaster just as bad to our doorstep. And this isn't some poorly developed or third world country that has been affected, its the southeastern US.

The mayor of the City of New Orleans estimates that thousands may have been killed in the storm. If he is correct, it could equal the death toll of the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, where 6,000 died.

1906 SAN FRANCISCO EARTHQUAKE

I don't know about anyone else, but as someone who always keeps up with the news, I have to stop watching it for a while during times like this. If I don't I'll end up with symptoms similar to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I did the same thing after the 9/11 attacks. We had the news on 24/7 in the days following 9/11, and it not only affected me but my step sons too. The youngest was only 10 yrs old and he was worried that he would have to go to war because of 9/11. I tried to tell him that by the time he was old enough for the military, the war on terrorism should be over.

But, I do know that over exposure, no matter how much you want to keep informed of what's happening, can have a devastating affect on you. So, watch a comedy, or listen to music or do anything to give yourself a break from all the sad news. Even if its just a few hrs. It will make a lot of difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home