Wednesday, August 31, 2005

ANTIBIOTICS

This is something I have arguments with my nurses about. During the season change, from summer to winter and winter to spring, I develop a cough. It's never much to worry about, but I had one nurse to panic and had the doctor to write out a script for antibiotics, even though I told her I couldn't afford it. Well the medicine came the next day and I had to bounce a check to get it. And I didn't even take it once I got it.

I was told years ago by another doctor that because I've been in one form of antibiotic or another in my life, I ran the risk of becoming drug resistant. So, unless I was running a fever, he wasn't going to write me a script for antibiotics. And I've held on to that advice since them. I refuse all antibiotics unless I'm running a fever. Even then, only after a blood test proves whether its viral or not. Antibiotics do nothing for the flu or colds. Hopefully more people will learn to take them ONLY when they are truly needed.

1 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger porchwise said...

Smart move. America is turning into an antibiotic nation, and virus' are developing resistence to them at an alarming rate--faster than medical science can discover new antibiotics. Same thing that happened to penicillin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home